According to us, grilling is the most fun yet fruitful cooking activity you can do. As you get the rich authentic taste of the char in the grill. And we think getting an appropriate grill of your taste and need is important. As there are a lot of options in the grill these days, we understand if you are confused. And our aim is to solve our dilemma.
Although the most famous of the grills we see in our daily lives are charcoal and gas grills (You can check our take on charcoal grill vs gas grill). But there are options which you can go for. One of them is infrared grills. Although an infrared grill is a kind of gas grill, there are still differences. And this article of ours will give you an insight on infrared grill vs gas grill. So that it is easier for you to choose among them.
Infrared grill vs Gas grill
Further, we will give you a comparison between infrared and gas grills.
Although the infrared grills use gas like other gas grills, here you get the heat through radiation.
An infrared grill has a ceramic plate or grid in between the flames and meat. When you turn on the grill, the flames provide the heat to the plate/grid. And it then transfers the heat to the meat and helps it cook. Also, the ceramic has holes in it, for equal and intense heat distribution.
So gas grills use convection to achieve the heat for cooking the food.
A gas grill has pipes which take the gas to the burners. And when you switch on a gas grill, the burners are lit. After that, the burning gas flames heat the air inside the closed grill. And this heat cooks the meat.
Source of heat
So infrared grills like we said are a type of gas grill too. So they can use liquid propane or natural gas for operation. But you also have options of infrared grills in the electric grills category.
As the name suggests, gas grills use gas to work. And this gas can either be liquid propane or natural gas. When it is liquid propane, you will need to use separate gas canisters. But for natural gas you need a home installed connection.
Temperature and Time
Probably the greatest thing about the infrared grills is that they can reach very high temperatures. So a good infrared grill can reach a temperature of almost 700°F. This is great for the tougher and fleshier cuts of meat.
Also very high temperature means you can cook more meat in a less amount of time.
A gas grill also uses high temperatures for cooking food. And the best versions of these grills can reach a temperature of 600°F. It is good for almost all kinds of meat.
And cooks food slower when compared to an infrared grill.
As talked earlier, the infrared grills use radiation to cook the food. And this means that only the plate or grid takes the heat to cook the meat. Even with a little of flame, it can reach higher temperature. And this makes fuel usage less.
Gas grills use convection to cook the food. So first of all it heats the air in the gas grill, which then cooks the food. As a result, heat is also lost to air. That is why normal gas grills have a higher fuel usage.
Some advantages of infrared grills are:
- As the food is cooked because of radiation, the moisture is retained in the meat.
- And radiation also helps you reach very high temperatures in a short time.
- Also, the use of fuel in these grills is less.
The advantages of gas grill are:
- You can buy a pretty good gas grill with an affordable price tag.
- Also, a good gas grill can perform various functions like grilling, slow cooking, indirect cooking, smoking, etc.
- And you can have complete control of the change of the temperature.
There are a few disadvantages of infrared grill:
- The low temperature slow cooking is not really possible in infrared grills.
- A good infrared grill comes at a very high price.
Few disadvantages of gas grills are:
- The convection heating in a gas grill can dry out the meat.
- As a lot of heat is used up for heating the surrounding air, there is higher fuel consumption.
Best Infrared grill – Char-Broil 463370
Why we love it:
- This gas grill also uses a liquid propane gas tank.
- And the cooking technology is TRU-infrared.
- Moreover, there is the stainless steel finish. So it is pretty durable.
- Also, there are the porcelain-enameled grates which retain heat.
The Char-Broil 4633707 is one of the best infrared gas grills. Not only that, the grill also is one of the most affordable grills under the infrared category.
So this grill has the TRU Infrared technology. And this technology prevents the flare-ups which can occur because of the fat droppings. Also, this promotes very intense and high temperatures because of the radiation heating process. And this also helps in the equal heat distribution and even grilling. Even the moisture of the meat is retained because of radiation.
Also, the whole grill has a stainless steel finish. And this makes it look classy and also increases the durability of the grill.
Besides that, the cooking grates are cast-iron porcelain enameled. So these again help in an even distribution of heat and heat retention.
Additionally, these grills have a push to start electric ignition. And also a versatile swing away warming rack.
This infrared gas grill is a pretty affordable grill. And you can get it easily for your kitchen. With the performance, it gives you the perfect domestic grill requirements.
Best Gas grill – Char-Broil Performance 650
Why we love it:
- This cabinet gas grill has a liquid propane gas unit.
- And this grill has 6 main burners, along with a side burner.
- Moreover, this grill has a 650 sq. inches of the main cooking space. Adding to that, a 250 sq. inches secondary cooking space.
- With large metal side shelves, you have the extra space for your preparations.
The Char-Broil Performance 650 is one of the best gas grills under $700. And with this affordable price, it exhibits brilliant performance.
First, there are 6 stainless steel burners on the gas grill. So this provides you a wide area for a range of grilling. And will be a great gadget for the grilling experts. As the burner is stainless steel, they give you a good amount of heat and durability. On top of that, we have the side burner so that you can simultaneously make your side dish.
With the wide cooking space, you can grill a lot of food at once. There is the primary cooking space of around 630 sq. inches, which is a pretty large area. And then there is the swing-away warming rack where you can also toast your buns.
Besides that, this grill has porcelain-coated cast-iron cooking grates. And these grates are great for maximum heat retention.
Also, the storage and working space in this grill is great. As there are large metal side shelves on the grill which you can use for all the prep work. Or as a burger assembly shelf. And there is a large cabinet in the grill where you can store all your accessories and tools.
This is a great gas grill, especially according to its price value. So we suggest you must go for this grill. And if you love hosting barbecues in your backyard, this is perfect.
Read More Articles:
- 4 Best Built-In Gas Grills
- 7 Best Meat Grinders for Deer
- 12 Best Meat Grinders 2021 [Expert’s Choice]
- 10 Best Meat Slicers for Home Use
- 5 Best Pellet Grill for Searing
- Best Pellet Smokers under 500 Reviews
- Best Vertical Pellet Grill Smoker Reviews
- 8 Best Gas Grills under $500 – Buyer’s Guide
- 8 Best Gas Grills under $200 in 2021
- 4 Best Electric Smoker under $200
With this we have come to the end of the article. And now you have the clear conception on the difference of the grills. Also, now that you know it, you can choose the grill which will suit your requirements.
You can check out top choices in these grills in our article the best gas grills under $1000.
Visit your website Cookinggearlab for more exciting articles on the kitchen and cooking gadgets.